Monday 2 September 2013

Losing travel Virginity

How do First time traveler feels?


Once upon a time in India...

22 years old medium class Indian student joined one of the most prestigious MBA school in India. His parents were proud that he could get admission to one of the best MBA school after he failed in his graduation once. It was dream for them.

Was it dream for ME?

Yes, indeed even bigger but not for studies or for securing a career but for travel. My first step to travel beyond India has just fallen at right place. Students choose College for its Pedagogy, Faculty, Placements and name. But I looked at a stat that no one pay attention. I saw the ranking of the colleges in International. Exchange Program and choose me college IMT-Ghaziabad. It is known for the best exchange program. My eyes lit up as my probability to go for an exchange program was highest here. 

Why Travelling was important for me?

I always had this fascination of going out and exploring World.I was crazy watching TV programs based on travel when I was kid and the stories of backpacking, hitchhiking etc attracted me. I was never passionate about bikes or cars or mobiles as my friends. But my eyes glowed when I heard Travel. I even started preparing myself with taking courses of German. I thought of travelling to Europe first and tried to get admission on French and German courses and got German courses while I was still undergraduate student of Maths.

I registered for LIVEMOCHA.COM and there i took online classes of French and Spanish. I took Spanish course in IMT while doing MBA. So my preparation were going pretty well. 

The Moment of joy:

October 2010 would remain a special month for me. After remaining in 1st waiting list finally I got chance to apply for one International College. I was too disappointed to miss Germany and in fact was left with just one College in France. I decided not to go but the traveller inside kicked me and as I believe, it was the best decision I had taken to go there. It was ESC-Dijon France.

So finally decided and 9th January 2011 was the D-day but just one problem I had no visa till 5th January. Even after applying 20 days in advance, I was not given any assurance of Visa. Had I not travelled to French Embassy on 5th January, I would have missed my flight as 8th Jan was holiday and I just had 2 days in between. I pleased to the lady to confirm my visa and after requesting a lot she told me to come next day to collect passport with or without visa. It was one of the longest night of my life. If cancelled I had no chance to re-apply, an option that some of my friends had due to time availability. 

It was like India won Cricket World Cup when next day I say the stamp on my Passport. Yes, the entry was given. A middle class guy who rarely travelled outside Rajasthan (his home state) has now entry to the World's most talked about country. France, I am coming. The vision that I saw for last 10 years has finally given me the first ray of joy. 

9th January -Bye bye India and France here I come.

Next-Landing in Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment